Sunday 27 June 2021

Preparing for a Different Normal


Notice to those receiving email notices from this blog: In July 2021, Blogger is discontinuing this service. I have been trying to work this "feed" service thing out but have not yet been successful. Presently I can't even access who is on my email service list so I can't contact you directly. You will have to either bookmark this blog address or simply visit me periodically to see what I have written lately. I'll be working on it but I can't make any promises. Thanks for your patience and understanding. And now to my post, something I have a relative amount of control over . . .

no thanks to pandemics

noteworthy that we are moving toward a new normal

need for more people to be vaccinated

nice that we are on the road again 


2020-21 has been an unsettling year. We have been given the opportunity to experience and live through a truly global event. The pandemic affected everyone on this planet. Through science and compliance with vaccination protocol, we will overcome this hurdle. Those who are choosing not to vaccinate are hindering humankind's general well-being. Think of polio and if you are too young to have remembered standing in line in elementary school for the polio vaccine, do some research. Trust science. I am alive today because insulin was invented.  OK, enough of that rant, this is a blog about clothing after all.

That being said, Covid-19 has affected what we consider "normal". It's time to prepare for a different normal. I don't believe we can resume "back to normal" or what was once practised as "normal". We are or at least should be much more aware of the correlation between basic hygiene and health, and hopefully, be more conscious of spreading a virus. How many of us didn't hesitate going to work, sniffling, sneezing and coughing with "just a cold" or "the beginnings of the more common flu" in the past? Continuing to wear masks, particularly if suffering from the common cold or flu, makes perfect sense.

As we move toward the normalcy we all want, my husband and I hope to be spending time in France this year. When we go, it will only be for three months since we do not want to deal with the onerous process of getting a long-stay visa. Yes, Canadians need a visa if they are staying longer than three months. Many think, both in Canada and in France, that because of Canada's historic relationship with France we don't. We do. And the fines imposed, if you are detected staying longer than you should, are significant. 

But back to preparing for my trip. I still cannot travel with only a carry-on because of all the non-clothing items I take. Here are some of the things I need to take or have taken when staying away for the long haul.

Protein Powder and Supplements: All the protein powders in France (or so I have found) contain sucralose and I have chosen not to use any products using this artificial sweetener. Most of the ones you buy in Canada do not contain this product anymore. I guess Canadian rats show different results in scientific analysis than French ones. So if you use protein powders in smoothies, it's preferable to bring it from home. I also find their prices for protein powders anywhere from twice to three times as expensive.

Many companies offer a single-use packet, which is convenient for short-term travel. Also, check to see if the country you are visiting allows you to bring in this product or supplements generally. Several years ago, a friend had all hers confiscated when entering Australia. Actually, any food item is suspect and you are lucky if they simply take it away and don't fine you. An apple or an orange is not worth $300.00.

Medication: I'm a diabetic and have gotten into the habit of taking all my medication and supplies for the time I will be away. Yes, of course, I can buy any of the above in France, but my Canadian health insurance will not cover it, nor will medical travel insurance because my diabetes is a pre-existing condition. It makes economic sense to take what I need.

My supplies for 4 to 6 months take a fair amount of space. As well the Freestyle Libre monitor calculates blood sugar levels in different calibrations depending on which country you live in. I have purchased one in France but I'm not accustomed to reading 3 digit numbers since I'm used to average readings in single digits.

I try not to take many clothes because I have a summer wardrobe in France, which is probably better than what I have in Canada.

I have already written about a more extensive list of clothing to take on a trip to Europe in the fall (underwear excluded) — August to October Trip to France.

This year I'll be wearing the following on the aeroplane:
    • a mask
    • a pair of skinny leg Buffalo blue jeans — I don't wear white jeans when I know I have to wear the same clothing for 24 hours. 
    • my seersucker Smythe plaid blazer that goes great with jeans. I got this photo from lyst.com a while back but it's no longer in their inventory.
    • a blue merino long sleeve lightweight wool top (planes are often cold)
    • my white Keds

In my carry-on:
    • my three-month supply of diabetic supplies and medication. Medications should always be with you and not packed in your checked luggage owing to temperature fluctuations and most importantly, the possibility of loss.
    • over-the-counter decongestant tablets or nasal spray for take-off and landing (if you have trouble with your ears in these situations) and eye drops for dry eyes.
    • my journal and two pens
    • my laptop and European plug-in converter
    • packaged snack foods (in case my blood sugars start dropping and I need something quickly)
    • my 100% moderate weight cotton beige & white shawl (a recent acquisition) or my camel-coloured cashmere shawl (I always need more than the little blanket you get on overnight trips when flying Economy)
    • an oversized t-shirt and lightweight cotton pants or shorts (respectable substitute for pyjamas) to change into when taking an overnight flight
    • basic toiletries including moisturizer, lip balm, hand-sanitizer wipes, toothpaste, and toothbrush. I have taken more in the past but never seem to use it.
    • an extra pair of glasses

This year, I might be packing the following favourites in my checked luggage:
    • my LBD (little black dress). I've carried it back and forth over the pond for years. Maybe it's time to get a second one.
    • my favourite scarves and signature necklaces. Scarves don't weigh much so I can rationalize taking a few but as for the necklaces, I can always make another one or two or three while I'm there.
    • my Burberry white tailored shirt
    • dressy black flats
    • beige heels

As well as . . .  two items I will take and leave there — a white denim skirt and white flip flops


Everything else in our check-in luggage will be items for the pantry and the house along with favourite toiletries that can stay there. 

I always take photographs of the contents of our check-in bags along with an itemized list. This is important, particularly if you are a designer type of guy or gal. You never know, your bag could be the lost one and this way, any insurance claim you make can be substantiated.

With this plan, there will be plenty of room on our return trip for wine and the clothing and shoes I buy there.







2 comments:

  1. So many people like you and I are ready to get on a plane and head to our favourite destination. You are a smart traveler and know what to pack in your checked bag and what to put in your carry on. Your travel outfit looks stylish and sounds comfy. I have a new in the box pair of sparkling white leather Keds I'd love to wear to any destination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Keds are the old standby canvas — haven't found the leather ones locally. They're out there. I just have to find them. The winter will soon be upon us and you'll be enjoying the southern sunshine in 2021 I hope.

      Delete

Your comments inspire me and so I read them in gratitude and reply with delight. Thank you.