Friday 10 April 2020

Easter Celebrations Past & Present

Closet Fashion Analysis: 
Easters Past & Present

Nice


Photo Source: SophiasStyle
When I lived with my parents, Easter was a time to dress up for blessing the Easter basket filled with foods to break the lenten fast and then go to church early Sunday morning. When I was little, I always got something new to wear for Easter. Not just one something but a whole outfit, dress, coat, matching hat, ankle socks with a lace trim and new shoes. I particularly remember a yellow and white jacquard dress with wide satin sash (much like this one), a yellow swing coat, a Juliette cap of white and yellow petals and white shoes. It was still early spring and I remember not wanting to wear the white leotards my mother insisted upon because it was still colder than a normal spring day that Sunday morning. I posed in front of the house on Main Street while my mother took a photo outside because she didn't want to waste a flashcube.


Note-Worthy

Fast forward several decades later when Easter 2020 will be remembered with voluntary confinement and restrictions to congregating in groups, which of course, affects churches (and well they should) as well as extended families which would include several different households. Everyone I know here in our prairie city has been, is and will be compliant given the pandemic requirements. 

I plan to dress up for Easter dinner, just as I have done for most of my life, albeit in nothing new this year. Although, I do wish I had something yellow. Dinner will involve 3 people all living within the same household. Perhaps I will order yellow flowers and have them delivered.


No Thanks but Necessary for some


I understand that several American states have granted exemption to churches regarding the no-congregating-in-groups initiative to help suppress the spread of COVID-19. Excuse me? What's that all about? Nicolas Little in his online article Keeping Churches Open will Damn Us All (posted April 2, 2020, retrieved April 9, 2020) appeals to those who continue to think rationally, "Let's not grant the extreme fringe, like Florida Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne license to jeopardize the health and safety of the rest of us, just so he can keep the donation basket full." I must say, I am glad I am not living in Florida or in any of the States perpetuating non-compliant attitudes among the general public.

Generally, I do not like sarcasm since it often degrades another person, incites ridicule at someone else's expense and is scornful. However, I have succumbed to that level with the news of this sanctioned non-compliance . . . I would suggest to those who have decided to congregate that they choose an appropriate Easter Sunday outfit during the present pandemic . . .  




Photo Source: China Medical 



Photo Source: China Medical

Update (April 13, 2020) Thanks Amy Jo for the photo enhancement.
The perfect colour for the non-compliant churchgoers on Easter Sunday during the pandemic.



10 comments:

  1. Hi Darlene. Bonne Pâque.
    I remember always having a new dress for christmas , as a child, and that being the biggest religious celebration in Australia. Different priorities in different countries. Living with lockdown in France is ok, but never surprised by the stupidity of those americans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different priorities for different climates too - our seasonal changes here in Canada are a tad more extreme. My mom also had me in a new dress at Christmas, this time often velvet. I was her doll, no doubt.

      Nice to hear from someone on the "rue". I never thought that this writing exercise blog would have political, economic and social commentary but I guess one's beliefs are revealed even in what should be a "safe" topic such as "clothing".

      Delete
  2. It's sad to have such fond memories of Easter as a kid only to have them shattered in our adult life. The outfit you picked for Easter in public this year seems appropriate give the circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess a little tongue in cheek sarcasm does carry truth in this case, and not ridicule.

      I'm hoping you are on Canadian soil.

      Delete
  3. Happy Easter to you and Leon ����







    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see your moniker on the screen. We are well, compliant and anticipating spring. I hope you are on Canadian soil and also are doing well this Easter season. A Happy Easter to the two of you? as well.

      Delete
  4. Hi Darlene,yes the fond memories of Easter are comforting at this time.I went to the cemetary yesterday but was not permitted to enter.I was angry but when I got home I felt warmth and peace over me.I sat for hours thinking of all the wonderful Easters from childhood till now,I felt blessed as a child and adult.I will miss you all at the table this Easter.HAPPY EASTER

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping our compliance and restrictions will return to us in low statistics of those affected by Covid-19. Restricting access to a cemetery seems a tad harsh but then again this is the season when many are visiting and so acknowledge and appreciate the peace you feel in this present moment. We will all be thinking and I'm sure speaking of each other while at the table. Let us be grateful for the blessings we have during this Easter weekend.

      Delete
  5. Angelika Murdock14 April 2020 at 09:15

    I hope your Easter was a happy one. And that the babka was a success! We too always dress for celebratory meals. Even the little ones get in on the action, and love to dress up. Michael went full on, tie and all!! All three of the grandkids are staying with us now until this all blows over, so our days are full. They don't even notice the isolation aspect of these times, as they have each other to play (fight) with and two teachers to give them classes every day. Stay well physically and mentally. I think the second is more dangerous than the first, especially for an extravert like me!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meat protein was the the theme of the day, typical coming from a tradition that includes fasting for 40 days. We don't fast but we do enjoy the meat overload on Easter Sunday. And the breads - yes the "babka" was flavourful with raisins, saffron, lots of eggs and sweetness, more brioche than bread.

      When I found the photo of the yellow dress, it reminded me how little "formal" children's clothes change. I think there's a future post there.

      Delete

Your comments inspire me and so I read them in gratitude and reply with delight. Thank you.