Tuesday 30 March 2021

Two Decades of Wearing Ballet Flats

 Brian's Passion for Ballet Flats  Timeline




Brian's passion began when he first noticed, then coveted, the white leather Ked running shoes "all" the cool girls were wearing in high school. From that moment he wanted a pair. He discovered Keds also made ballet-flats and soon he began collecting different patterns and styles. Here began close relationships with sales associates who made sure to inform him of new styles and colours. The Keds sales gal was the first of many who helped Brian out with finding the perfect ballet flat. Coinciding with his Keds discovery was the fabric Chinese-influenced brown-soled Mary Janes. The Mary Janes are long gone but the Keds have continued to be a wearable choice in his closet.

During this developing passion for ballet flats, he was not loyal to any one brand but he did begin showing a preference for particular fabrication, decoration, and comfort. Nine West, Puma, and Michael Kors progressively became favourites during this period. 

As with any collection, once you have everything you can get locally, you want, no you need to expand your collection by exploring what is available out there. When he mentioned Tory Burch to the Michael Kors sales staff, the gal who got to know him well, told him to check the next time he went back to Arizona where he vacationed every year. Brian had one of those smack yourself in the forehead kind of moments. But of course.

"And that's when my passion for Tory started — November 23rd, 2001." For seventeen years, he was loyal. How loyal? Imagine, additional pairs in every shade Tory Burch offered (in those seventeen years) between each of the base colours in this photograph.

"I still love my Tory's but in 2018, I decided to try a pair of Tieks." He actually anticipated hating them but Tieks has a free shipping and return policy within the United States and so he thought, "Why not?" He ordered a pair of the blue Tieks called Sapphire. He loved them and four days later, ordered another two pairs.

His transition from Tory to Tieks was influenced by two practical factors — the sales people at Tory Burch (with whom he developed relationships) had moved on and he already owned every pair he wanted. I imagine after awhile it becomes more of the same. I have never had the good fortune to test out that theory. Brian feels both are similar in comfort but his Tory Burch selections have a classier feel style-wise. His Tieks have become his ballet flat of choice for everyday wear. 

Relationships continued to be a part of his ballet flats experience. Tieks has an organized social media following numbering 40,000 members, male and female, from all over the world. Brian now belongs to the group and has become f2f friends with some of them. TieksMeets, when Tieks "fanatics" (that's Brian's word) and Tieks in the Wild when you see someone wearing Tieks nurture the Tieks phenomena. I know how the TITW people feel because when I'm out, carrying a Lancel bag and see someone else with one I want so much to go up to them and ask them about their Lancel. With the number of ballet flats Brian has and with spring organizing on my mind, I'll soon be talking to him about the content of his closets.



What's not to love?


















8 comments:

  1. Thank you for once again sharing a post about my footwear passion. I love how you've captured and presented the past 2 decades (likely more) of shoes I've worn. It's scary how quick that time has passed but I've taken each step in comfort, style and a brand of shoes of my choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Brian. And I thank all the Tieks guys and gals who have come to visit the blog (through your influence I thank you).

      True about the time and the old saying, "My how time passes when you're having fun!" Keep having fun.

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure there's any way to tell for sure but I do know there have been hundreds, thousands or maybe millions of girls and guys that have been encouraged to start wearing or doing something they wish they had the courage to do because of your post. You are iconic my friend. And time does fly when you're having fun.

      Delete
    3. It was definitely a 50/50 effort — your passion intrigued me when we first met online, and the rest is history! My blog stats will tell you it is not millions, but isn't that what we all want — to make a difference. I'm ready and willing to see time fly and have more fun . . .

      Delete
    4. When I left my first comments on your post I never imagined it would be the starting point for our friendship. I glad it has grown into what it is today and it all started cuz of a cute pair of ballet flats and your kindness and intrigue.


      Delete
    5. Some things are just meant to be. In the same way, who would have thought? Yet it does reflect both of our ideals and so it has come to be in some small way on this blog.

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure if I mentioned this but the guy that's wearing his Tieks with me in that picture lives in the same city as you. So if you see him feel free to comment/compliment him on his cute ballet flats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not seeing many people these Covid days. But thanks, I'll be on the lookout!

      Delete

Your comments inspire me and so I read them in gratitude and reply with delight. Thank you.