Sunday 17 June 2018

Garage Sale for Clothing - Good, Bad & Funny

With garage sale season in full force in Canada I thought to share some of the commentary I have encountered while trying to get rid of some of my closet content. 

I decided to try and get rid of the loads of clothes in my extra closets that I haven't worn in years. My life changed after leaving an administrative style job where I was teaching and consulting. It is going on now seven years since I no longer do that or want to do that. I dabbled in those seven years and that was reason enough to hang on to my "professional wardrobe". I did a couple of stints at a Polytechnic and a university and then decided I don't want to jump those hoops anymore. I reintroduced myself to freelancing as a writer and am called upon by a local lifestyle print magazine which suits me just fine. I can work in my pyjamas and I am happy.

I thought that a garage sale would be the quickest way to get rid of many things without any hassle. Here are some of the comments and questions that I encountered . . . for the most part they are amusing at best and slightly annoying at worst.

"Do you have this in a larger size?" This is a garage sale not a boutique. What you see is what there is. I suppose if I had the same item through several periods of weight loss, perhaps it could be a valid question.

"This is not my style. Do you have anything more "bohemian"? Again, the person selling has a particular style and that is what you will see for the most part.

"I saw you have a sewing machine for sale. Can you alter this for me?" Excuse me . . . You can buy the sewing machine and alter it yourself.

"I never find anything I want at garage sales." Ok then why are you wasting your time going to garage sales?

"This sweater has a button missing." It's a wool sweater in the 50¢ bin, you may have to buy a button.

I shall donate the rest of the clothing.

4 comments:

  1. Relaxing in Kelowna18 June 2018 at 11:16

    Oh my, this is too funny!! I like to peruse garage sales, but I do not like to hold one, mostly due to the type of "shopper" these sales attract. My patience for the inevitable inane comments wears thin. I suppose I should work on that! At any rate, I have donated, and will continue to donate, to the local thrift shop that caters to people in need here in my city. Too bad we do not hold brocantes here in Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In France, vides greniers - empty attics - are the equivalent to garage sales although they are centralized in the same way boot sales are in the UK. And you are right, the brocantes are more interesting with vintage being the focus.

      Delete
  2. Hijab can also be fashionable too if you try and wear some adornment over it or choose one that is stylish buy online on
    amanis.com
    and that you can easily show off in the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine you were reading a post I had written about Religious Obligations of Dress
      (http://closetfashioncontentanalysis.blogspot.com/2014/06/religious-obligations-of-dress.html) because of your comment's content. Like any other form of dress, there is the ordinary and the stylish, the conservative and the more liberal and it is freedom of choice that is important.

      Delete

Your comments inspire me and so I read them in gratitude and reply with delight. Thank you.