Sunday 4 April 2021

So Many Pairs of Shoes, So Little Space

Closet Analysis: Choose the Right Tools

For those of us who have more pairs of shoes than is reasonable, this post is for you. For those like my husband, who has six pairs of shoes — a pair of Geox black leather loafers, a second pair of same style Geox caramel beige leather loafers, a pair of running shoes, a pair of leather sandals, a pair of Merril sandals, and a pair of Oxfords — don't bother reading this post.

Brian Davis, my ballet flats guru, tells me that he kept his Keds in their original boxes for years.
"But as more and more pairs were added I realized I don't have enough room. My Keds are stored in the plastic tubs with no real organization method at all (embarrassing I know). I have several of these plastic tubs with Keds in them."

We've all been there, done that and many of us are still there, doing that.

He did tell me that his brand new vintage

Keds are kept in their original boxes in a closet as are his Puma flats and sports flats and his Michael Kors flats are in a trunk in a spare rooom. The spare room and extra closets have become his shoe repositories.

Now where are his Tieks and his Tory's?

Brian tells us, "My Tory's are the most organized of all my ballet flats. I keep them in what I refer to as "The Tory Vault."

I recognize a couple of "what looks like Tory boot boxes" at the bottom of that closet.

Even though Tieks are his newest ballet flats passion, they are the most unorganized, according to Brian. Tieks come folded in half in a tiny blue box but Brian has an issue with the presentation. "Since it drives me nuts to see them folded in half like that, I don't store them in the original box."


Here's what they look like freshly unpacked. Yes, these cute
flats came out of that little box!

Thank you Brian for the providing the reveal through your photographs. You are braver than I!

There are so many alternatives out there to organize your shoes and I'm sure you will be able to add another idea or two to the list that follows. 


Necessary: Now, let's take a look at what tools are available out there for shoe organization:

Nice: The only advantage clear plastic shoe boxes offer over the original cardboard box is that you can more readily find what you are looking for. They still take up a lot of space but if you want to invest the money (around $2.00/box or so), the plastic shoebox is a good option —stackable, easy to label, and transparent. When you no longer need them, they can be used to store something else. Original cardboard boxes don't hold up and vary in size thereby making it difficult to stack properly. The problem is, if you are like me, you haven't kept the boxes. If you like the idea of the transparent alternative, you will also like the "heeled" shoeboxes that come in three different height sizes.

Noteworthy: Then there are all forms of . . . 

Boot Hangers and Boot Racks

Hanging Shoe Shelves

Over-the-Door-Shoe-Bags or Racks I personally don't like things hanging on my doors. Opening and closing doors with stuff on them just doesn't cut it for me. If it's a good idea for you, choose one with clear pockets making it easier to identify the shoes you want to wear.

Cubby Shoe Organizers or Shoe Cabinets Some shoe cabinets are combined shoe cabinet/storage benches or shoe ottomans that look like a piece of furniture

Under the Bed Shoe Organizers For the shoes you don't wear on a regular basis. No Thanks. I like to see what I have. 

Floor Placement Shoe Racks That's what I have right now and it serves the purpose in the space I have allotted for them. My shoes are visible, on the floor beneath my hanging clothes, and easily accessible. Those shoes I don't wear often are in cloth bags piled in a corner shelf and this is a No Thanks for me.

Tiered Shoe Shelves/Racks multiple shelves high, shoe shelves can vary in size, from 6 pairs to 48 pairs — the more shoes it accommodates, the higher the shelf. Made of wood, bamboo, plastic, or chrome-plated steel. 

 

Nicer & Noteworthy: Shoe Slots/ Shoe Space-Savers

I found this photo of the shoe slots on eBay. I love the design and can imagine my shoes organized in this way. Unfortunately, I don't have any open shelving in my closet. It just might be worth giving up some of my hanger space for a narrow shelving unit. But for now, I'll put up with my floor placement shoe rack.

If you are lucky, you may have built-in shelving in your closet. I can imagine shoe slots in the shelving on the right side of this closet. Where two pairs of shoes lay, 5 pairs could be accommodated with shoe slots. 

Photo by CHUTTERSNAP on Unsplash

Finding shoe organizers for 6 to 12 pairs is fairly easy. If you want something for 48 pairs, the best strategy is to start your search, be patient, but you will eventually find them online.

Or if you need a guide on the side to help you de-clutter and organize, check out my latest project in collaboration with Janet Parkinson, an interior consultant, and owner of Changing Spaces by Design.

Click Here to Visit the Launch Page for

A Box a Day: A 30 Day Journal to Triumph Over Clutter 

Your Personal De-Cluttering Guide

Or

 Click Here for my page on this blog — help me out with some organic marketing.














 

 


 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you once again for sharing a post about my shoe passion. We've never done a post on the shoe storage topic. I must say I'm rather embarrassed at my current storage setup for my Keds and my Tieks. I don't expect my storage system for my Keds to ever get much better, although I should downsize the number of pairs I have. I have seen how other Tieks fans store their blue print soles (aka Tieks). I have a few ideas in mind but have yet to act. My current collection of Tieks has 29 pairs. Yike right! There's also approximately 10 other colours I'd like to get. I want to make sure whatever storage method or setup I choose it's going to be big enough. This leads to the question of "how many pairs of Tieks does a guy need?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless one is super anal-retentive, most of us have a box or closet such as your Keds' bin. In the winter my back entrance closet is piled higher and deeper with boots, mostly mine. In summer, the same closet is full of flip flops, runners and garden clogs. My shoes do get preferential treatment.

      Too bad you aren't a Ladies Size 7 — "will write for shoes . . . "

      Delete
    2. When I first realized my passion for cute shoes, and not male shoes my women's Keds were my first love. I did have them neatly stacked in their boxes similar to to the way my "exclusive Keds" and Torys are today. Then one day the boxes were taking up too much space and they got recycled and the Keds went in the storage bins. My other brand names flats collection never grew to the size of my Keds so storing them in their original boxes was manageable. I'm glad to hear you have a similar storage bin of various shoes at your door.

      As for the size 7's, I'm sorry I can't help you. I'm a size 11. (Women's size 11 of course).

      Delete
    3. It's always the way when a person has many of a thing. I guess that's why I began the "Box a Day" routine, which came to be an actual product, which is now for sale. Again, who would have thunk it? I have another friend who is a size 10 women's and she once lamented the size but now claims it is an advantage — larger women's sizes are often the most plentiful at sale time. Is that true?

      Delete

Your comments inspire me and so I read them in gratitude and reply with delight. Thank you.