Closet Content Analysis: Flip Flops
"But he is an Italian," was Umberto's sensible reply. "He doesn't care if you break some law a little bit, as long as you wear beautiful shoes. Are you wearing beautiful shoes? Are you wearing the shoes I gave? . . . . principessa?"
I looked down at my flip-flops. "I guess I'm toast."
The following are some observations of flip flops worn and seen, oftentimes precarious, sometimes awkward, and other times predictable and even a little eccentric.
- The "split-splat" of synthetic hitting the boardwalk reminded me that it was summer.
- She was tall and attractive but moved inelegantly as she clattered down the hallway in her wooden flip flops.
- With toes pointed outward her gait was off and she looked like a duck waddling down the street.
- My toes tried to grasp the flat sole to prevent the uncontrollable flop that insured the impossibility of entering the room quietly.
- The pebbled surface made walking precarious as the back end of her shoe flipped and her bare heel flopped onto the uneven surface.
- Her toes pointed to high noon, but the back of her right flip flop was at 20 after and the other at 20 to the hour.
- His feet slid out of his flip flops as he tried to maneuver up the slippery slope.
- She looked rather austere dressed in navy on a warm summer day, but her lime green flip flops indicated another possible personality.
|Leather flip flops I'm living in during the summer of 2012.|
At Work: A leather flip flop is a sandal; whereas a rubber flip flop is beachwear. Does that make sense?
Out for Dinner and Weddings: Essentially, mules are flip flops with heels. Of course, it's the height of the heel that distinguishes a mule from a flip flop and so why would I tell you to wear a mule rather than a flip flop. It's that formality discussion again. You just look more formal wearing a heel; call it what you want. That being said, I would not hesitate to wear my black Accessoire flip flops (the middle ones on the ladder) out for dinner with the little black dress.
NEED: Two or three pairs of Brazilian flip-flops, either Havaianas or iPANEMA Gisele Bündchen in all three sea, sand and sky summer colour choices.