Friday 2 March 2012

Winter Coats & Jackets



Classic Warm Choices

It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold: when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade.
- Charles Dickens

Closet Content Analysis:
Winter Coats & Jackets

NICE                   NO THANKS         NOTE-WORTHY            NEED

“. . . when it is summer in the light “. . .  not quite yet on the Canadian prairies, but it is definitely “spring in the light”. While everyone is thinking spring, my mind is still on cold weather coats. One of the reasons being is that this is the time to buy. The sales are on and if you’re lucky you will be able to obtain a pricey piece for anywhere from one-half to a quarter of the original retail price.

NICE COAT:  The camel wool-cashmere coat that I am wearing presently is the third coat in that sandy beige colour that I have owned over the years. The brand name of this latest one is Cinzia Rocca and the style is classic, made in Italy where I bought it. I like that the buttons are hidden. I feel like I’m wrapped in a lovely cashmere blanket when I wear it.





 NICE JACKET: I bought this jacket from a woman in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada who was trying to establish herself as a designer. I don’t believe she is in the business anymore. She got the shearling/leather from Turkey and had her line produced in Italy, if memory serves me correctly. My jacket is a boxy-style, reversible, made of shearling, and has kept me warm for over a decade. I’m still wearing it. I can’t even believe it as I write this but I’m sure I bought it in the early nineties. As far as style goes, it’s very ordinary, nothing special at all. I especially love wearing it with the leather facing out and the fuzzy warm shearling next to me. It keeps me warm even in minus 20 or lower weather. Notice the cuffs and how the shoulder is worn from purse shoulder straps.























People seldom notice old clothes if you wear a big smile. 
- Lee Mildon

NO THANKS: It was so long ago, I have no photo and have already forgotten the details but it was an off-white puffy jacket with colourful appliqués, kind of ethnic looking, and some kind of faux fur on the collar. It was a cropped bomber style and because of my height, I remember thinking that I looked like a Q-tip when I wore it with my fuzzy boots. I gave this one to my niece. My niece is considerably taller than me so she looked fine in it – she was smarter than her aunt and didn’t wear fuzzy white boots to match.

Fashion is architecture: it is a matter of proportions.
 - Coco Chanel


NOTE-WORTHY: The coat was on sale - one of those end-of-season, “take another 25% off the 40% already taken off” sales. It was red and I would never have thought to buy a red coat, certainly not at the original price. The label is Jacques Vert and was originally priced at over $600.00 at The Bay in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. I can't remember exactly what I paid but it was under $200.00 in February of 2011. Whenever I wear it, I receive a ton of compliments.


When in doubt, wear red. 
- Bill Blass


NEED: Another shearling jacket.



I was raised in California, so this whole New York winter thing is completely new for me. I've already justified buying seven coats!
- Blake Lively

Email JoyDCreations with your descriptions, and if you like, your photos and I'll include your NICE, NO THANKS, NOTEWORTHY or NEED in my posts.

Coat Shopping and Caring Tips:

Remember proportion. With both my NICE and NOTEWORTHY coats, high-heeled boots look best, again because of my height and the length of the coats. Three-quarter length and shorter jackets are perfect with flat boots.

Remember fabric choice and how much extra money you want to spend on care. Check the instructions. For the most part, winter coats should be professionally cleaned. 

Remember size and layering. If you need a bulky sweater between your outerwear and your inside clothes, you probably have to go at least one size up. Never ever buy a coat or jacket that feels a tad tight even if it is on sale.

Because people spend more money on coats and tend to hang on to them for a long time (think my NICE jacket), one can find some classic and very unique winter coats and jackets.  . . .  but . . . Remember, when searching for vintage, if it has that mothball/musty/somethings not right smell, you will likely not be able to get rid of it and it will become a NO THANKS in your closet.

2 comments:

  1. Relaxing in Kelowna14 March 2012 at 16:00

    I was with you when you bought that red coat and since red is my favorite colour I was soooooo jealous! Living here precludes me having such a long and warm coat, but I still have "coat envy" when I see it. Lucky for you; not so much for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten that we were shopping together! The fit of that coat is great. I have also been lucky at The Bay in Kelowna - a suit and a casual dress as I recall. Lucky you that you don't need a coat like that in the winter.

      Delete

Your comments inspire me and so I read them in gratitude and reply with delight. Thank you.