Wednesday 21 April 2021

The Breton Stripe


I always associate the Breton stripe with the French company Armor Lux and with being a French invention. I was wrong. Its origin is actually English and apparently, it was Queen Victoria who started the trend when she dressed her son in sailor stripes. 

Nice: 
I have one black and white striped Armor Lux here in Canada and another three back in France, one of which is a beige and white stripe, a white with black stripe, along with a turquoise and white long-sleeved one. I like the heavier cotton and the perfect crew neck collars. I limit my stripes to tops. My preference is the subtlety of the beige and white stripe.


Need:
For Spring 2021 Judith and Charles have embraced the Breton Stripe in more choices than just summertime tops. I don't yet have a blazer. "Need" may be too strong a word to use because I have enough clothing and really do not "need" another blazer. "Wouldn't it be nice if . . ." is a better phrase to use in this case. 


No Thanks:
I do not own any striped pants because I have never seen a pair that looks good. They run from looking garish to clownish on me. Good for you if you are tall enough to manage them. the closest I ever got to a striped pant was back a few years ago when I bought a trendy pair with a single strip that ran vertically down the side. I did like those pants (the ones here in the photo to the left).

Another "no thanks" is when two or more people in one group are all wearing black and white stripes. That happened to me once. In fact, one of our friend's husbands made a comment about not knowing he was coming to a Marcel Marceau convention when he saw the three of us. We laughed. What else could we do?


Noteworthy:
Striped accessories, shoes, bags, scarves, and even jewelry say "summer" to me and can be fun to add if you do not like wearing stripes. This Michael Kors bag is several years old now but pretty much a summer classic.

2 comments:

  1. You have written many interesting posts as of late, and they are all wonderful, but this one really caught my attention, as I feel the same way about stripes; tops only thank you! I have a few black and white striped tops and I can't seem to part with them. One was purchased in a lovely beach community during a memorable trip to France. I have a photo of three lovely ladies, all in their striped tops, smiling broadly at the camera. What else could we do? I am thoroughly enjoying reading your posts, especially when they conjure up such pleasant memories! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always appreciate comments and ones that bring back memories bring a smile and even a giggle. Part of my writing resurrection on this blog is avoidance behaviour. I have two other writing projects that are more intense and this is bringing a pleasant reprieve.

      Delete

Your comments inspire me and so I read them in gratitude and reply with delight. Thank you.